Fitness - Chair Exercise
Sitting exercises can be done either in a Regular Chair (with or without arms) or with a Balance Ball. These can be done at home or in the office.
Some of the workouts shown below can be a great way to get started working out right in your chair.
Many of the exercises are part of the Pettibon system, which uses a special Wobble Chair or Seat.
These can be very expensive, though (into the 100's+). A Balance Ball can be just as effective, and for much less (under $20.)
The exercises consist of several basic movements:
- Folding forward and rolling back upright.
- Tilting side to side with arms in the air.
- Tilting side to side with arms down at sides.
- Tilting head side to side with hands under chin.
- Tilting side to side with hands on each side of head.
- Turning head side to side with hands under chin.
- Tilting hips back and forth; then side to side.
- Move hips in a figure 8 with a 'stop' at each corner.
- Move hips in a circular fashion in each direction.
These exercises are said to help hydrate discs, increase back flexibility and improve posture. (See diagram below for examples.)
©FAVOSITY - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.